Twitter users who were secretly “shadow-banned” by the social media giant under previous management praised new CEO Elon Musk for releasing records that show how their speech was suppressed on the platform.
Stanford University professor Dr. Jay Bhattacharya offered his thanks to Musk and independent journalist Bari Weiss for revealing Thursday night that he’d been put on Twitter’s “Trends Blacklist” after arguing against COVID-19 lockdowns.
“Sunshine is the best disinfectant,” Bhattacharya tweeted.
The health policy expert also said that “censorship of scientific discussion permitted policies like school closures” and harmed “a generation of children.”
“I’m curious about what role the government played in Twitter’s suppression of covid policy discussion,” Bhattacharya added. “We will see with time, I suppose.”
Fox News host Dan Bongino, who was put on Twitter’s “Search Blacklist,” angrily called that move “some Soviet-style bulls–t” during a Thursday night appearance on Sean Hannity’s Fox News show.
“Elon Musk has changed the future of all big tech moving forward,” he said.
On Friday morning, Bongino tweeted that he has also been targeted by Facebook, YouTube and Google Ads.
“Yet we’re still reaching millions. Imagine what we could do without the censorship,” he wrote.
Radio host and conservative activist Charlie Kirk of Turning Point USA, who was secretly given a “Do Not Amplify” label, tweeted Friday morning, “We’ll never know how different the country would be had they never put their thumb on the scale.”
“All of this is evil, un-American, and it should be criminal,” he wrote. “Musk is doing the right thing. He’s done more for liberating free speech in 5 weeks than the GOP has done in the last 50 years.”
Thursday’s revelations came after independent journalist Matt Taibbi last week posted internal Twitter documents that detailed the suppression of The Post’s October 2020 scoop about Hunter Biden’s infamous laptop.
Those moves included locking out The Post from its main Twitter account for two weeks over the baseless assertion that the story was based on “hacked materials.”
Twitter demanded the removal of six tweets from the account but caved after The Post held fast and refused to comply.